Detention and Reintegration Working Group - Workshop on Education, Life Skill Courses and Vocational Training for Incarcerated Violent Extremist Offenders
7-8 October 2015
The workshop concentrated on the design, implementation, and evaluation of cognitive skills programs, basic education courses and vocational training that can be offered to violent extremist offenders (VEOs) during imprisonment, as part of their rehabilitation programming.
Presentations and interactive discussions were centered around six main themes, including:
- the initial assessments of VEOs as a method to comprehend their background and needs in prison, as well as the elements necessary to create a beneficial prison environment that encourages learning and positive progress among terrorist prisoners;
- the provision of basic education in prison;
- vocational skills development and employment assistance for VEOs;
- psychological and spiritual development of VEOs;
- the role of arts, sports, and culture;
- and the training, vetting, and monitoring of prison staff and volunteers providing the programs.
Several of the recommendations of this workshop, and other workshops in this series of DR Working Group activities, will be used in the training program that the Global Center is developing in close partnership with the Governments of Australia, Indonesia and future partner countries. The training program will help equip prison officials with the necessary skills and knowledge to manage terrorist prisoners and prevent radicalization to violent extremism in the prison system.