GCTF Initiative 2022 - 2023
The Gender and Identity Factors Platform (GIFP)
GCTF Consultations Initiative, led by Canada and the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism UNOCT (UNOCT), consisted of two consultations that contributed to the UNOCT Gender and Identity Factors Platform for Countering Violent Extremism and Counterterrorism (GIFP). The platform aims to raise awareness about the value of integrating the analysis of the impact of gender and other identity factors in response to violent extremism and terrorism, as well as provide practical tools and resources to support and develop more effective and sustainable preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE) and counterterrorism (CT) policies and capacity building programs including the Women, Peace, and Security agenda, into domestic and international P/CVE and CT efforts.
- Strengthened the close and mutually reinforcing GCTF – Counter-Terrorism Compact partnership.
- Supported UNOCT in furthering the development of the GIFP through the GCTF consultations.
- Enhanced the usability, identified gaps, and raised awareness of the GIFP, as well as solicited future activities and outputs for the Platform from potential users.
- Provided an opportunity to identify further context specific knowledge products and other human-rights based resources on gender and CT and P/CVE to form part of the GIFP resource library.
- Sought the views of GCTF Members and partners on ongoing or previously carried out capacity building activities on gender and CT to draw on lessons learned and best practices to inform the development of a UNOCT gender training for national CT centers.